Saturday, January 16, 2010

S&P 500 Weekly Update for January 15, 2010

Reflecting on the 2009 investment strategy utilizing the exponential moving averages, I became fully invested on Monday, September 21, 2009. On that date, I allocated the final 25% to the purchase of SPY (ETF on the S&P 500). My overall cost basis is $104.24. Given Friday's close for SPY at $113.64, the investment account is up 9.01%. On an annualized basis, the investment account is up 28.1%.

What will the market do going forward? I don't know. I can give you a thousand reasons why this market can not go higher. However, I have learned one thing during my career following the stock market. That is, the market trend is your friend. And, that is why I am a trend follower. As long as the 15-week EMA > 40-week EMA, the trend is bullish (buy stocks). When the 15-week EMA < 40-week EMA, the trend is bearish (sell stocks). It really is that simple. It all comes down to the KISS concept.

This week's update is as follows:
Note: To enlarge the chart, double-click inside of it.

No comments: