Friday, April 23, 2010

Cash for Tanners: A New Subsidy for Vacations

Have Europeans lost their minds or what? According to European Commissioner Antonio Tajani, visiting foreign countries is a "right." Yes, vacations are no longer a privilege but a right of all. The EU has a new "Social Tourism" project that advocates subsidized holidays for the underprivileged. Cash for tanners is also being touted as good economic policy. Has anyone in Europe taken a basic economics course? If not, they should enroll in one of my economic courses! (Once again, I am just not that creative to make this stuff up.)

This project targets the disabled, poor families, senior citizens and, youth. (By the way, in Europe a youth includes an individual up to 30 years of age.) At an EU meeting last week, Spanish Tourism Minister Miguel Sebastian said tourism "should be an asset all citizens can enjoy, in particular those with physical disabilities or financially disadvantaged." Now, I know why Spain is in that category of countries referred as "PIIGS."

Currently, "Social Tourism" is being touted only in Europe. However, I am confident that "Cash for Tanners" will soon find its way to our shores. If I were you, I would be getting vacation brochures from your local travel agencies. I know, I am.

No comments: