Monday, June 28, 2010

SLV: Neither Bear nor Bull!

I know that a lot of you that follow my blog are very interested in the precious metals.  That is why from time to time I have updates pertaining to GLD, SLV, and GDX.  Today, I want to illustrate a "Point and Figure Chart of SLV, which is as follows:


From a technical analysis perspective, these are my findings for SLV, which are based on the above chart:
  1. Bullish uptrend since November 2008 (Green Line)
  2. Cyclical Position for SLV: Late Advancing Phase/Early Distribution Phase
  3. Major support at $17, which also corresponds to its 200-day EMA at $16.91
  4. Price break of $17 would be the start of the Declining Phase.
  5. Price break of $17 would give a downside price objective between $12 to $14.  $14 is the February 2010 low.
Bottom Line: $17 is definitely the critical support for SLV.  A break below $17 would probably precipitate a decline of 23%.  If it breaks $17, I would definitely hold off buying until I see what happens around $14.

No comments: